Adelphi Hotel Blackpool, 1838
Advert for the Adelphi Hotel Blackpool,
1838. The hotel was built by Esau Carter1 (1798-1853) in
1835, on the site of the Adelphi Public House, Church Street. Esaw married Susannah
(1798-1848)2 in 1821 and they had at least five children; John, George, Alice,
Septimus Esaw3 & Alfred. The hotel was also known as The Adelphi
& Post Office Hotel. In the 1840s an annual sale of horses, livestock and farm
machinery was held, as well as regular sales of farmland.
the sale of the estate of Esau Carter in 1855. The Adelphi Hotel in
Church Street had six sitting rooms with rooms for 25 beds, a large club
room, coach houses and stabling for 14 horses.
The sale also included:
A house in Church Street occupied by Miss Banks.
A shop and house occupied by James Bamber.
The Post Office building, also used as the Athenaeum News Room, behind which
was a warehouse, stable, yard and outbuildings.
1Locally, the name Esau was sometimes spelled Esaw.
2Susannah died 25 January 1848, aged 50.
3Esaw's son, Septimus Esaw Carter died 20 December 1853, aged 17, about ten months after
the death of his father.