Ashton Institute 1916-2010.
The Ashton Institute c1916, shortly after construction in Ashton
Gardens. Below, is another photo taken after it had been taken down, restored and
reconstructed, May, 2010.
This is not the first time the Institute has been moved. It is one of
the earliest buildings in St.Annes, probably built in Wood Street in the 1870s, and
known as the St.Anne's Club.
In the 1880s it was moved to a site between the two entrance lodges to
St.George's Garden's, on St.George's Road and renamed the St.George's
Institute. For more info click
In 1916, Lord Ashton donated St.George's Garden's to the town. They were renamed
Ashton Gardens and the Institute was again moved, this time to within Ashton Gardens, behind
the Empire Cinema. It was renamed The Ashton Institute.