Lytham St.Annes Coat of Arms
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, England


Click here for the Langdales Hotel website.

Clifton Drive North in 1905. Clifton Drive North, St.Annes, looking north from St.Annes Square in 1905.  The town of St.Annes-on-Sea had been founded in 1875 when there was nothing but sand dunes & rabbits. In 1877 the Helmshore builder William Porritt leased land to the north of St.Annes and started to build these distinctive stone-fronted properties.

The terrace of houses in the centre (now the Langdales Hotel) was one of the first to be built in St.Annes by the Porritt family. Porritt's building yard stood opposite in what is now Ashton Gardens.

 Clifton Drive North at the junction of St.George's Road c1910. In the distance a large wooden fence and behind it Porritt's Building Yard.


Porritt's Building Yard c1912, viewed from what is now the Langdales Hotel. The yard existed from 1877 until 1916,  fronting Clifton Drive North and is today the entrance to Ashton Gardens.