This portion of the gardens lies alongside Clifton Drive North; since 1877 it had been
the site of Porritt's Building Yard. When Lord Ashton purchased the gardens from the
Porritt family he also bought the building yard in order to enlarge the gardens (see
The yard was cleared away and the area landscaped; the old caretakers
lodge, known as "The Cottage" over to the left was demolished in February 1916.
The "new park" was formally opened as "Ashton Gardens" by Coun. Richard
Leigh on 22 August 1916. It is seen here shortly after being laid out.
The gift of Lord Ashton, relieved the Council of a big financial
responsibility and enabled them to undertake at once the laying-out of the Gardens, which it had
been intended to develop slowly with the growth of the town. Before Lord Ashton’s gift was
announced the Council proposed to spend £1,500 on preliminary laying-out, but Lord Ashton
enabled the Council to proceed at once with developments which it was expected would take a
decade to accomplish.
In addition to laying out the Gardens it was proposed to erect a handsome
pavilion worthy of the Gardens at a cost of £20,000 but on the outbreak of war this portion of the
scheme was postponed.
The Council, however, proceeded with the other portions of the scheme and
laid-out tennis courts—six grass and three en-tout-cas—and a bowling green. The original design
submitted by Mr. Fred Harrison was altered as the grounds were laid-out, improvements being made
from time to time.
Lytham St.Annes Express, 1916