Lytham Hall is a short walk inland from the town. It
is a Grade 1 listed building and probably the finest Georgian house in the North
West. It was designed by John Carr of York for Thomas Clifton and built
between 1752 & 1764.
VISITING DAYS & TIMES
The grounds are open every Sunday, Tuesday
Wednesday and Thursday from Easter to 31 October.
The area now known as Lytham Green was a marsh in the middle ages
but by the 1800s, centuries of blown sand had created a range of small sand
dunes; part of a belt of sand dunes which stretched along the coast as far as
South Shore, Blackpool.
From the 1830s onwards the dunes were gradually levelled,
a path created, greensward laid and sea wall built.
Windmill was built about 1805
and is open to the public during the summer season; entry is free of
charge. Visit the new website for more information and to check opening times.
Alongside is the Old Lifeboat House.
Facing Lytham Green are many Georgian and Victorian houses.
A house on West Beach, Lytham.
The town is situated on the mouth of
the Ribble Estuary and on a clear day there are good views of
Southport & the Welsh mountains.
Opposite the Queens Hotel is Lytham
Lifeboat Station and alongside is a wooden
jetty. There's a lot of deep mud and grass on the
foreshore which is dangerous to walk on so the jetty is the
only safe way out to the Ribble Estuary.
Although there's no longer a beach at
Lytham (CLICK HERE ) there are miles
of safe sand and sand dunes at St.Annes.
On Lytham Green, opposite Dicconson Terrace, is a board giving a
brief history of Lytham.
Lytham Town Centre
Cottages in Henry Street
Some of the earliest buildings in Lytham
can be found in Henry Street. Many of these were originally
single-storey thatched cottages.
From about 1850 the tenants cottages were
improved by the Clifton family, the local landowners. Many
have dripstone mouldings over the windows, porches, ornamental
bargeboards and gothic features.
on the corner of Henry Street and holds regular exhibitions
on a wide variety of subjects.
There's an art gallery
- theFylde Gallery located on the first floor of Booths
Supermarket, Haven Road (off Station
Road) which displays some of the Fylde Borough
Art Collection; the building also houses a
Pebbles are used as an architectural feature in
many buildings and walls in Lytham. There is also
pebble paving with various designs along Bath Street and
outside Capes Dunn, Auctioneers on Queen Street.
The main shopping area is Clifton Street and
there are many small family-run shops, boutiques and
To the west end of the town is Lowther Gardens which has
children’s play facilities, toilets, café, Lowther Pavilion, crazy golf, crown green bowling, hard
surface tennis courts, floral displays, picnic area, rose garden, & aviary.
In the centre of the gardens is a statue "The Lytham Shrimper".
A little further along the coast from Lytham are
the residential districts of Ansdell &
Fairhaven which lie between Lytham and St.Annes - you know
when you've arrived as there is the Byzantine-style
"White Church". Ansdell is on the inland side
of Clifton Drive and Fairhaven is on the seaward
Across the road from the White Church is a
high pebble wall and behind it is "Starr Hills". This was built in
the 1860s when the area was sand dunes planted with starr grass; it was a
holiday home for the Liverpool-born artist Richard Ansdell R.A. (now a nursing home).
Further along Clifton Drive is The Fairhaven
public house and an unusual 1920s brick-built bus (originally a tram)
shelter. Seawards is Fairhaven Lake and inland is Woodlands Road. The local shops
are on both sides of Woodlands Road railway bridge. Nearby
is Kingsway and Kingsway Auction Rooms - interesting on a viewing
At the crest of the railway
bridge are steps down to Ansdell & Fairhaven Railway Station
and views over the course of the Royal Lytham & St.Annes
Golf Club (1898). The golf course, along with all the land stretching
towards the sea, had been a part of Lytham Common (1600s) but centuries
of blown sand ruined the land and formed sand dunes. The railway to
Blackpool was cut through these sand dunes in the 1860s - followed by Clifton
Drive in the 1870s.
On the inland side of the railway bridge is the Ansdell
Institute (1909) and then a road called Commonside. Opposite the
Post Office & Library is a neat terrace of farm labourers'
dwellings known as 'Tamborine Cottages' built by the Clifton Estate
c1850s and ornamented with pebbles from the foreshore. Ansdell was developed as a residential district from the 1890s onwards and
still retains much of its Victorian/Edwardian character.
Fairhaven is a residential district on the
seaward side of Clifton Drive. Roughly half lies in Lytham, starting at the White
Church, and the other half in St.Annes, ending at Fairhaven Road. The area
was a range of enormous sand dunes until the 1890s when the Fairhaven Estate
Company was formed to level them, make streets and sell land to
The lake was created in the 1890s by enclosing two large banks
of shingle (pebbles) which now form the promenade road and sea wall.
The original plan was to extend the lake and gardens along
the coast to St.Annes but this proved too expensive and so the dunes north of the
lake have remained untouched (see below).
The 'beach' at Fairhaven is muddy and
unpleasant but there are some large sand dunes which offer good views
both seawards & inland. The nearest good
beach is a couple of miles away at St.Annes.
View from the top of the sand dunes opposite King Edward VII
School, just beyond Fairhaven Lake.
St.Paul's Avenue runs inland, alongside King Edward VII
School (1908); this was the old boundary between Lytham and St.Annes until the two
towns joined to create the Borough of Lytham St.Annes in 1922. The
adjoining Queen Mary School for Girls (1930) has been redeveloped as luxury
apartments and the girls have moved in with the boys next door!
The Promenade road was completed in 1925 and facing it are
a number of large houses, mostly built in the 1930s. Beryldene is a private residence and was home to the Irish
tenor, Joseph Locke; he sold it to George Formby in 1953. For more details click here.
Most of the dunes beyond Denford Avenue were levelled in the
early 1990s after a large pipe was laid underneath and this is now a
greensward. Continuing along the promenade, there is Lightburne Avenue,
so-named because Lytham Lighthouse once stood on a high sand dune at the
corner of the promenade.
Take a detour into Derbe Road, then turn left into Alexandria
Drive and you might be forgiven for thinking that you've stepped back in time. Here
there are several shops, built in the 1890s, with remarkably well-preserved,
At the end of Alexandria Drive is Fairhaven Road; this is the
end of the district of Fairhaven. Turning back onto the promenade there
is the convenient Beach Terrace Cafe and the start of South
The no.7 bus runs along Clifton Drive and the no.11 bus from St.Annes Square; both operate between
Blackpool, St.Annes & Lytham.
In the summer months there might be a vintage
bus service along the promenade Sundays only; check the
Classic Bus website for details.
Excellent video of Lytham by Huckleberry Films of