T has been thought desirable on the part of the
Committee responsible for the control of the Department to issue a Handbook
such as would, to some extent, adequately inform
the community of this form of public
health and recreative work, as carried on at The Lytham Baths.
The Doomsday Book contains the entry Uctred held Lytham with
Berewick. There is half a hide of land : wood one mile long and half-a-mile
Later history records that King John made a grant of Lytham to Roger
Fitz Roger, who founded and endowed a Benedictine cell to the honour of St.
Mary and St. Cuthbert in the reign of Richard I. (1188), and ultimately the whole of the
borough of Lytham St. Annes was purchased in 1606 by
the Clifton family, the present holders of the
The family residence, Lytham Hall, built between 1757 and 1764, is
encircled by six hundred acres of pastures and woods. Lytham Windmill is of 800 years
history, but the township synchronises with the Georgian period of which there
are many excellent examples, to wit : The Market Hall, St. Cuthbert's
Church and private residences.
The Promenade greensward, the Green Drive, Lowther Gardens, the
famous golf links and wide shopping square and thoroughfares make Lytham a town of
exceptional interest to visitors and residents
Original Lytham Baths.
The original Lytham Baths were built in 1860.
The first mention in the records of the Clifton Estate of these Baths is
in 1860 when, on September 25th, £ 50 was paid to one Charles Holt, Architect, as first prize for plan of
The Contractors were Metcalfe and Waterson. In April, 1863, the first
revenue entry appears from letting of rooms and from some baths.
1926 - 1928.
During 1926-1928 the Baths were entirely rebuilt, the two Assembly
Halls extensively altered and completely modernised, and the Forecourts laid out
on ornamental lines, This work was started under the able Chairmanship of
Councillor Harry Eastwood, and has since been carried
on by him up to completion.