Lytham St.Annes Coat of Arms
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, England

Newspaper article from 1901 giving a brief history of the Lytham Volunteers.  

On the 13th December, 1859, a band of patriotic young men held a meeting in Edmondson's shop, Market.square, Lytham, the result of which was to have far reaching effects. Each wanted to be a military man of some kind, and so the volunteer company was formed for Lytham. From the roll-book kindly lent to us by Mr. Thomas Fair, J.P., we find that exactly 69 names were enrolled, as follows :

Adcock, John

Anyon, Thomas

Armstrong, T.

Atkinson, W.

Bell, W. H.

Brown, James

Bull, Thomas

Butcher, Elijah

Candlish, William

Cardwell, James

Cartwell, William

Clarkson, James

Clarkson, Richard

Cole, Thomas

Cookson, John

Cookson, Richard

Cookson, Richard

Collinson, —

Day, Charles

Dagger, Richard

Edmondson, T.

Edmondson, C. R.

Elston, William

Evans, John

Fair, Jacob

Fisher, William

Fisher, William

Fisher, Cornet

Greaves, James

Hardy, William

Harrison, Lawrence

Hincksman, W.

Hogg, Robert A.

Hull, Robert

Lang, Edward

Loose, William

Miller, Clement

Moon, John

Moore, John

Mouncey, Titus

Mycock, James

Mycock, William

Naples, F.

Nickson, John

Parkinson, J.

Rawlinson, H.

Rymer, James

Rymer, William

Salthouse, C.

Salthouse, John

Salthouse, John

Scott, William

Seed, Alexander

Seed, James

Stevenson, James

Swann, James

Thompson, R. T.

Townson, Bryan

Taylor, Henry

Wartenberg, S.

Wareing, Robert

Wilding, John

Warbrick, Richard

Whiteside, N.

Wood, Thomas

Woods, William

Worthington, G.

Wright, Thomas

Carter, —

The first officers were Captain Lennocks, Lieut. Thos. Fair, W. E. Stephenson ensign, and Rev. R. B. Robinson, then Vicar of Lytham as the chaplain. Mr. Jacob Fair was colour-sergeant, and Major Hincksman, O. R. Henderson, S. Wartenberg, and J. Wilding, sergeants. On Good Friday, 1860, the company had its first parade in uniform, to Blackpool, and one can readily imagine the sensation they would make, and the pride they would take in their appearance. Sergeant Instructor Cole was the first instructor to the corps, but at the end of two years he unfortunately put an end to his life by shooting himself. Captain Lennocks and Lieut. Thos. Fair did not hold office long—two years— Mr. W. C. Stevenson being appointed captain, Mr. (now Major) Hincksman lieutenant, and Mr. Jacob Fair ensign. After four years' service the latter retired, being succeeded by Mr. Wartenberg. In 1863, the company held their first camp in Lytham—the first Volunteer encampment ever, held in Lytham.

In the following year Mr. Thos. Henry Clifton, father of the present Squire, was appointed captain, became major, but two years satisfied his ambition. Mr. Hincksman was then put into the proud position, with Mr. Wartenberg , as his lieutenant, and in 1881 the former was promoted hon. Major. Six years later, he ended a long and honourable term of service, viz., about 28 years, to the deep regret of all connected with the Company., Mr. James S. Fair who had joined as second lieutenant in 1882 was made captain, retiring in 1885. A non-resident had then to be elected to the command, the choice falling on Captain Lucas, who holds the position today (1901), Mr. P. Dandy who joined in 1898, being his lieutenant.

The corps has been specially favoured with capable drill instructors. After Sergeant-Instructor Cole, came Sergeant-Instructor Hynes, an old Crimean man, and pensioner. He stayed 14 years and was then compelled to relinguish the task on account of reaching the prescribed age limit. Sergeant-Instructor Moore, an old sergeant from the Militia staff came for eight years and their the company had the good fortune to get Sergeant-Instructor Howard from the East Lancashire Regiment, in July 1884. His genial, kindly spirit soon bore fruit, and there sprung up a bond of kinship between tutor and taught which attracted others to the happy family. For 17 years Sergeant Howard fulfilled the duties honourably and successfully, for the strength of the company rose in his term from 70 to 100, and one of his most pleasant memories will ever be the service eleven of his boys have given to the country in the ill-fated South African war. No instructor ever took more personal interest in his men. He was a virtual foster father to each one, and his compulsory retirement on account of the age limit was deeply regretted by them. But his urbanity has gone further afield than Lytham, and on Saturday sergeant Howard received the appreciation of the battalion. In the orders issued by Col. Mitchell, V.D., Commanding Officer to the regiment, appears the following eulogy :--


"Sergeant-Major G. Sanderson has been approved as Sergeant Instructor to the battalion, vice Sergeant.Instructor Howard, relieved at his own request.

The Commanding Officer takes this opportunity place on record his high appreciation of the valuable services rendered to the battalion by geant Mr. Howard during the long period of 7 years. Sergeant Mr. Howard, now retiring on his pension, carries with him into his retirement the respect and esteem of all ranks of the battalion."


Such a splendid acknowledgment of service is so rare that Sergeant Howard is naturally very proud of it. We congratulate him on such a tribute, and hope he will be spared for many more years to continue his instruction to the schools of the district which Government has precluded him from giving any longer to the volnnteer service.

The choice of his successor has not been lightly made. In fact one man had been chosen, and actually paid a looking-round visit, but the Commanding Officer decided that he was scarcely the man to come to a place like Lytham, and Sergt. Inst. Noble, of Bacup was then chosen. He is an exceedingly smart-looking soldier, said to be very smart at drill, and that he is a popular man is seen from the fact that the Bacup Conservative Club have presented him with a handsome writing desk on leaving. We hope and believe he will prove a worthy successor to Sergeant Howard.