Lytham Windmill, erected on "The Marsh" about 1805. The Marsh
was a tract of small sand dunes between the beach and the town.
A kiln stood alongside where the oats would be dried before
The mill was not just situated here to take advantage
of the sea breeze. Ships would drop anchor by the mill, offload oats or
corn which would be processed and returned.
This may seem strange today, but given the terrible state of the
roads at that time it was the most efficient way of doing things.
The mill had been erected by the Clifton Estate and was leased
to Richard Cookson for 7/- per annum.