Lytham St.Annes Coat of Arms

 
amounderness.co.uk
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, England
 

 

Lytham Windmill in the 1840s & 50s

Thomas Moore (b.1791) was the miller at Hoo Hill Windmill, near Blackpool, in the 1840s and then at Lytham Windmill in the 1850s. He lived in Market Square with his wife, Mary and son John (1831-1858). He retired aged about 71, by which time he was living in "Gas Street".

MEMORIES OF LYTHAM WINDMILL
IN THE 1850s

Many a time have I lain on the sward at its foot listening to and watching the rumbling swift descent of its huge arms and the swish as they grazed the long grass growing on the platform or round terrace on which the mill stood and wondering whether it would be possible to grip hole of the ladder-like lattice of the arms and be whirled round and then let go at the right moment as earth was reached again.

Our mother told us that the Clifton tenantry was bound to grind its corn at the mill all and that all millers horses were proverbially fat, but the miller seemed to us to be but a lean and surly sort of churl, who thought all boys were imps of Satan instead of being innocent little angel-lambs!

Once or twice, however, when the mill was working well, and he was in a good humour in consequence, we coaxed him into taking us inside and showing us with pride how the corn ran out of a big hopper up aloft to the revolving stones, whence it dribbled and trickled down through other hoppers and sieves, and finally into the sacks at the bottom.

He even let us out on to the little platform behind at the top, where the steering gear was, and whence we had a fine view all over the country.

Extract from an article by H.T.Crofton, Manchester City News, 1919 in which he reminisces about Lytham in the 1850s.

Lytham in 1856, by which time the kiln had been removed.

By the 1840s, Lytham was fast developing as a health resort and substantial properties were being erected on the seafront. The noise from the windmill and the smoke from the kiln furnace were seen as a nuisance by the new residents.

The kiln was rebuilt in "Kiln Street" at the East End of Lytham though had to be rebuilt after a disastrous fire in 1859 virtually destroyed it (see below).

FIRE

Yesterday morning, between two and three o'clock, the drying kiln belonging to the Lytham windmill was seen to be on fire.

An alarm was given and the neighbours assembled with cans, and, with  great exertions, the fire was got under about five o'clock, but not before the roof and floors, and part of the walls, had fallen in.

There were upwards of one hundred sacks of oats belonging to farmers, and a large quantity of oats from the Robert Henry, now lying on the Horse Bank, in the kiln at the time.