Lytham St.Annes Coat of Arms

 
amounderness.co.uk
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, England
 

 

Lytham Windmill Since 1920

After the 1919 fire, the windmill remained derelict for several years. In 1921, the Squire of Lytham gave the mill to the people of Lytham. The local council restored the building, fitted a new cap and dummy sails.

It was opened by the Council as a cafe but this did not prosper so it was leased to various clubs, becoming the headquarters of the Ribble Cruising Club, Motorboat Club & Sea Cadets. It was then used as an electricity substation until 1964.

The structure suffered from dry rot and in the 1980s Fylde Borough Council carried out carried out work on the mill over two years and it was reopened on 20 March 1989.