Oxford House School was founded by Joseph Furnivall Brindle (1829-89) about 1879 on South Promenade,
Joseph's son, Joseph H.F. Brindle
B.A.Oxon. (b.1866), ran the school after his father's death. It is
listed as being at "The Holme" in 1889 and "South
Promenade", in 1895.
By 1903 it had moved into the premises pictured on the corner
of Clifton Drive South & York Road.