Chairman of St.Annes Local Board of Health (1878-1880). The
earliest form of local government in St.Annes was the Local Board of Health.
It was formed in 1878, just three years after the foundation of the new
In these early years the entire machine of local government was
housed in the front room of Matlock House. This room served as an inquiry office,
rate office, sanitary inspectors office, and as a boardroom.
Monthly expenditure averaged between £16 and £20 and when the
sand blew, £25.
Chairmen of St.Annes Local
Board of Health 1878-1894.
James Astley, Chairman,
John Greenhalgh, Chairman
Robert Hargreaves, Chairman
Thomas Bradley, Clerk to
the St.Annes-on-Sea Local Board of Health. He was selected from
44 applicants and appointed in March, 1887. He believed in the proverb 'he
who goes-a-borrowing, goes-a-sorrowing' so the Local Board didn't
obtain loans for schemes to improve the town.
The chief concern of the members of the Local Board was to keep
the rates down to 1s.6d (7½p) in the £1. This meant that the total annual
expenditure would be a maximum of £600, assuming all the rates were collected.
The total assets of the Local Board, apart from the office
furniture, were a few spades and brushes.
In 1894 the Local Board ceased to exist and the
St.Annes-on-the-Sea Urban District Council was formed under the Local Government Act of 1894.