Gus Kenderdine 1870-1947
Photograph of Blackpool Tower Fire, by Gus Kenderdine,
1897. Augustus Frederick Lafosse Kenderdine (1870—1947) was a landscape and
portrait artist of Lancashire and Saskatchewan, Canada.
He was born at Chorlton-upon-Medlock, Lancashire and in 1890-91, he studied with
Jules Lefèbvre at the Académie Julian in Paris, his work being displayed at the Paris Salon.
On his return to England, Kenderdine moved to Blackpool, opening an artist and
photographic studio in the town; he was a member of the Blackpool Sketching Club (now
Blackpool Art Society), in 1891.
In 1894 Kenderdine married Jane Ormerod at Garstang, where he had been painting,
and they subsequently had four children. In 1901 they were living at no.6, Oxford Road (near Church
Street & Whitegate Drive).
About 1908 Kenderdine and his famly emmigrated with his family to the Barr
Colonist settlement of Brittania, now known as Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada.
He went on to teach at the University of Saskatchewan and in 1936 established
the Murray Point Art School at Emma Lake. He died in 1947 and in 1991 the University of
Saskatchewan named the Kenderdine Art Gallery in his honour. His works can also be seen in
various Canadian museums including the National Gallery of Canada.
For more information on Gus Kenderdine click here and here.
Sources: Wikipedia; The Blackpool Herald.