The Alhambra, Blackpool 1899-1902
This building was erected on the site of the Prince of Wales Theatre &
Prince of Wales Baths and stood alongside Blackpool Tower.
The Alhambra opened on the 29th May 1899 and was formally opened the
following July. It housed a theatre, circus, ballroom and cafes, amongst
other attractions. It was not a success and by 1901 the company had failed. The
building was purchased by the Blackpool Tower Company who reopened it as 'The
Palace' in 1904 and it continued as an entertainment centre until 1958.
The building was demolished in 1962 to build Lewis's Department Store.
This modernist building was reconstructed or remodelled 1993-4 to house the new Woolworths Store
and other smaller outlets, including Harry Ramsdens. Woolworths closed in 2008 and in 2010 T J
Huges opened their store there. To view the building in Google Street View CLICK HERE.