A brief description of Hambleton, 1934.
TOWNSHIP has a scattered village three miles N.E. from Poulton-le-Fylde, and
contains 1,558 statute acres, and its rateable value is £2,956. It is in the parliamentary division
of Lancaster, and in the county council division and Union of Garstang. The parish council consists
of five members. Population in 1841, 394 ; 1851, 30 ; 1861, 366 ; 1871, 351 ; 1881, 389 ; 1891, 367
; 1901, 321 ; and 1921, 421.
The CHURCH, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, existed in 1577, and it was
rebuilt in 1749. It is a neat building with a square tower, in which is one bell. It was separated
from the mother church of Kirkham, and had a separate parish assigned to it in 1846. In the church
a new organ and christening font have been placed as a war memorial to the men of the village who
fell in the Great War. The living is a vicarage, value £180, in the gift of the Vicar of Kirkham,
nd held by the Rev. Joseph Gomel.
The SCHOOL at Hambleton was erected by the School Board, in 1877, at a cost of
The METHODISTS have a chapel here, erected in 1870, at a cost of £300.
SHARD BRIDGE, which here crosses the River Wyre, was erected in 1864, at a cost
of £13,000, the grant having been obtained in 1862. It is 325 yards long and about seven yards
wide, and is built wholly of iron, with iron pillars. Previous to its construction persons were
conveyed across in ferry boats to Singleton and Poulton.
PARISH COUNCIL—George Woodhouse (chairman), Jonathan Bownian, Wm Catterall and
Thomas Eaves. Rating Officer : Joseph Hull. Rural District District Councillor : George
Post Office at the Misses Gregson's. Letters arrive, via Blackpool, at-7 52
a.m., and are despatched at 7-45 a.m. and 5-0 p.m.