King Edward VII School
King Edward VII School was erected at Fairhaven (on part of the
Fairhaven Golf Club links) on Clifton Drive, alongside St.Paul's Avenue which was
at that time the boundary between Lytham and St.Annes. It was as a Grammar School
for Boys built by the Lytham Charity Foundation and opened on 25 September
Queen Mary School for Girls was erected by the Foundation on an
adjacent site and opened in 1930. The schools entered the state system as
direct grant school under the 1944 Education Act which meant that there
were fee-paying and eleven-plus students.
To quote the current prospectus "During the 1970s this grant was
removed by the government, to be replaced in the 1980s by the Assisted Places
scheme. When this in turn was removed following the 1997 General Election, the
Governors announced the merger of the two schools. King Edward VII and Queen
Mary School was officially opened by Sir Richard Evans, Chairman of BAE Systems,
in 2000. In September 2003 the school moved to the King Edward site, which
benefited from extensive redevelopment."
King Edward VII School opened in 1908.
Bompas-Smith, the headmaster of the proposed King Edward VII School
at Fairhaven, and whose photograph is here given, is a man well qualified to
take charge of so important a scholastic institution as the new school
promises to be. The future of the nation rests largely with the younger
generation, and the influences that help to mould the character by imparting
knowledge should therefore be a matter of serious concern to all English
Double interest attaches, therefore, to some particulars of the
career of Mr. Bompas-Smith which we are able to give. Mr. Bompas-Smith was born in
1867, and received the first portion of his education at Chesterfield Grammar
He received further
tuition at Jena in Germany, and also at the Mansfield Grammar School. From here he
went to Oxford, taking the honour of being OPEN MATHEMATICAL SCHOLAR, and also
taking first-class in Mathematical Moderations. He obtained first-class in his
final classical examination, and left Oxford in 1890, becoming master, for one
term, at Sutton Valence. For the next seven years he was chief master on the Modern
Side at Shrewsbury.
The curriculum at Shrewsbury contains a Classical
Side, a Modern Side, an Army Class, and a Science department. The Modern Side is
intended to; supply a liberal education in such subjects as mathematics, natural
science, and modern languages-English, German, French, etc.
Mr. Bompas-Smith left Shrewsbury in 1897 to take up
the headmastership of the Walsall Grammar School, and during the seven years that
elapsed between that date and his appointment to the King Edward School the number
of boys in attendance rose from 108 to 190, a circumstance that speaks well for the
confidence reposed in him by the parents.
Mr. Bompas-Smith has written works of
considerable interest to those in the scholastic profession, two of them being
"Boys and their management in school" (Longmans) and "A new junior arithmetic"
(Methuen). He is also a contributor to "School" and other journals. Mr.
Bompas-Smith is hopeful that the new school will be opened in the early part of