Lytham Hall Park, 1910
Newspaper article from 1910 on visiting Lytham Hall
LYTHAM HALL PARK
OPEN FOR PUBLIC INSPECTION.
Comparatively few residents or visitors in St. Annes are aware that they may
enjoy the beauties of Lytham Hall Park. The Park is thrown open twice weekly—Wednesday and
Saturday—for visitors. Admission tickets are necessary and these are procurable at the Estate
Offices or at the Ansdell Lodge, for which a charge of one shilling per year is made, the whole of
the proceeds being given to Lytham Cottage Hospital.
At the present time a visit to the park affords a pleasant afternoon, the many
magnificent trees being in full leaf, while the lawns, shrubberies and rose garden are in excellent
condition. The park is well wooded and many of the "towering tabernacles of the air" form a dense
mass of luxuriant foilage sweeping to within a few feet of the velvety, lawns. The tall
rhododendrons, with their pale purple flowers, are also a pretty sight.
The hall, too, is of mach interest. The Clifton family traces its
descent in a direct line from the thirteenth century, and Lytham Hall has been the seat of the
family since the Hall was rebuilt in 1764. The hall is built on the site of the old hall, which was
destroyed by fire, and has three fronts, to the north, south and east.
The building combines simple elegance and grandeur. It has lately been fitted
with electric light. Many trophies of Mr. Clifton's shooting prowess in his world-wide big-game
hunting adorn the walls. On the south-west side of the hall is a noble mount, crowned on the summit
with a lofty flagstaff, and from the top of the mount there is a fine extended view into
Westmorland and Cumberland, over a considerable part of Lancashire, and in clear weather Cambria's
curtained mountains hang in majestic grandeur over the Watery surface.
Heavens"! What a goodly prospect spreads around,
Of hills - and dales, and woods and lawns and spire's.