The (North) Crescent, St.Annes.
Shops now numbered 15-30, The Crescent, also known as North
These are on the inland side of the railway.
The Crescent railway bridge was built about 1876, soon after the foundation
(1875) of the new town of St Annes-on-the-Sea. At the time it was the highest point for miles
around and from the crest of the bridge there was a good view of the flat, low-lying Fylde
A few shops were built on the seaward side of the railway bridge in the
1880s, but North Crescent remained undeveloped until the late 1890s.
North Crescent c1885, looking inland with
St Annes Parish Church in the distance. The terrace to the right was
known as Willow Bank in St David's Road South, now a row of shops by the
Catholic Church. Below is a view taken from a
similar angle about 30 years later.
North Crescent, St Annes c1909.
The shops on the inland side of the Crescent railway bridge, were built
c1898-1900. Today they are numbered 15-30 "The Crescent" but in the early 1900s this
was 15-30 "North Crescent".
North Crescent c1905, looking inland with the
Catholic Church (opened 1890), in St David's Road
High street shops have changed along with our tastes and needs over the years.
Below are some photos and adverts concentrating on this row of 15 shops. The name of previous
occupants are taken from directories, census returns and adverts with the dates shown in
15 The Crescent.
15 North Crescent: This is near the crest of the bridge, by the
railway line and probably the first occupant was John Allen. He had
opened Kilgrimol School for Boys (now the District Club) amongst the sandhills in the
same year the town was founded, 1875. He was principal of
the school until about 1892 when he sold it and opened a toy and fancy
goods shop in Park Road. His shop was twice flooded (from the
?Conservative? club on the first floor).
He moved his toy and fancy goods shop into
the newly built row of shops on North Crescent about 1899. He is listed there in the 1901
Census but his occupation given as a phrenologist because he studied and lectured on
the subject. By 1904 he had moved to a new shop at 14 Park Road. By Christmas 1904 no.15 North Crescent
was occupied by Alban Vincent Worden.
Advert for Worden's Fancy Goods Emporium, 15 North Crescent, Christmas
Edwardian advert for Worden's.
A V Worden moved to newly built premises
in Whitehall, Park Road, about 1910. In the 1920s
Hartley Mitchell was the occupant of no.15. Since
1978 this has been Semple's "Artshop
Newsagent", still selling some games and toys.
No.15 North Crescent, near the crest of the
bridge c1920. No.16 is to the left.
16 North Crescent: Mrs Blackbourn, ladies' &
childrens' outfitter (1905). Samuel Davies, confectioner and tobacconist (1920). More recently the Peking Inn and now Blessing House Chinese Noodle Bar
for Mrs Blackbourn, ladies' & children's
North Crescent in the 1920s
Advert for Davies' confectioner and tobacconist,
Crescent: Obadiah Shields' Grocer & florist shop (1901, 1908). Isaac E
Lievesley, draper, Bolton House (1924). This has been Ward's Carpet shop since about
Shields' grocer & florist shop, 17 North Crescent c1905.
Advert for Isaac E Lievesley, draper, Bolton House, 17 North
Crescent in 1926.
Advert for Isaac E Lievesley, draper, Bolton House, 17 North
Crescent in the 1920s.
Lievesley's "Bolton House", 17 North Crescent, c1920.
To the left is Rothwell's Butcher at no.18, previously Watson Shields' fish & game
18 North Crescent: W. Shields' fish & game shop
(1908). Watson Shields was a fish & game dealer,
half-brother of Obadiah Shields in the neighbouring grocers shop. By 1916 this was
Rothwell's, a beef & pork butcher (1920). It is now
(2019) Genesis - designed fitted kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms & fitted
Potted shrimps were amongst the items sold by Watson
Rothwell's butcher opened sometime between 1911 and
"Once we were seven" a wartime advert for Rothwell's butcher,
Advert for Rothwell's butcher, 1920.
Crescent: E. Howarth, tea
dealer (1901) E. Howarth, house furnisher (1908), Grundy & Son, house furnishers
(1924). Now (2019) The Palace Chinese Take-Away.
Advert for H. Grundy & Son, house furnisher, 1920.
Advert for Roy Firth's Pet Store, undated but
20 The Crescent
Crescent: J. Warburton (1903), F. Dewhirst, hairdresser and tobacconist (1908).
Solomon Bulos Karmy, fancy goods dealer (1924). Solomon was Turkish but born in Palestine.
Ernest Flower (1982). The shop is now (2019) St Annes Music & Guitar Shop.
Nos. 20-30 North Crescent c1920, the Catholic Church in the
The canopies protected the products and shoppers from the elements but could be hazardous
in strong winds.
21 North Crescent: A. Trickett,
boot and shoe maker, (1908), Sterlings, Ltd., boot dealers (1934). Darbyshire, ironmonger (1970s),
Barnes Brothers Electrical Contractors (1982). Now (2019) Bizzie Fingers fabric shop.
Advert for Trickett's, 21 North Crescent,
Advert for Sterlings Footwear, 21 North
Advert for Oswald Darbyshire, ironmonger,
21 North Crescent, early 1970s.
Nos. 21 & 22 in
1982: 'Barnes Brothers Electrical Contractors' and 'Kathleen
crescent: Boothby, ironmonger (1901), Mrs Hargreaves, milliner, (1908), Miss
Catherine Walsh, draper (1934). Now (2019) vacant.
Edwin Boothby's Ironmongers, 1900. The shop was in Willow Bank, a row of
shops next to the Catholic Church in St David's Road South. By April 1901 he had removed to
no.22 North Crescent, one of the newly built shops by the railway, but the business had
problems and he only lasted for a few weeks. In 1902 this became Mrs Wilson's Millinery
Advert for Mrs Wilson's Millinery Emporium & Fancy Goods Depot,
crescent: James Duckworth Ltd., grocers, (1908 & 1924). Now (2019) Cats in Care
crescent: George Thompson, tailor and outfitter (1908); his business thrived and
had removed to West Crescent by the 1920s. M. & E. Ogden, confectioners (1934). Now
25 North Crescent: Samuel Cheetham & Son (Frank), butchers
(1908 & 1934). Now (2019)
Advert for Cheetham, butcher, 25 North Crescent, St Annes,
26 North Crescent: Frederick J. Evans, pharmacist and optician,
East End Pharmacy (1904, 1924). Emily Evans (1934). Now (2019)
Advert for the East End Pharmacy, 26 North Crescent,
Crescent: Gregory & Son, drapers (1906, 1908), William Elvet Jenkins, draper and
ladies' outfitter, (1924, 1934). Now
Star Nails and Beauty
Advert for Gregory & Son, cash drapers,
Crescent: The Misses Grime, ladies' and children's outfitters (1908, 1924,1934). Now
(2019) The Barbers
Nicholson, confectioner (1908). Swift's Cafe & confectioners (1924 & 1934). Now (2019)
North Crescent c1960, with St
David's Road South to the left. The Wineries (no.30) is on the corner and no.26 to the far
Advert for The Wineries, 30, North Crescent, 1904.
Advert for The Wineries, Christmas, 1904.
North Crescent c1920, looking seaward from
St David's Road South.
The Wineries is on the corner with Swift's Cafe & Confectioner
At the junction with St David's Road South is no. 30, North Crescent. There is a
datestone "1898". It opened as a wine & spirit merchants known as "The Wineries" about
1899. For many years it was run by the Giller family but it more recently became "Bargain
Booze" which closed about 2017. In 2019 the shop re-opened as Lytham Wines.