A description of Warton, 1934.
Is a respectable village, township and parish about three miles S.S.W. from
Kirkham, in the parliamentary division of the Fylde, and is in the county council division and
Union of the Fylde. The parish council is composed of five members. The largest owner of the soil
is J. T. Clifton, Esq., but some others have estates in the township. It contains 2,416 statute
acres. Its population in 1841 was 552 ; 1851, 470 ; 1861, 446 ; 1871, 444 ; 1881, 408 ; 1891, 414 ;
1901, 446 ; and 1921, 684. Rateable value, £2,447.
ST. PAUL'S CHURCH was originally built in 1722. It was replaced by a new church
in 1886. This is a neat Gothic edifice with a graceful spire, designed by Messrs. Aldridge &
Deacon, of Liverpool, and the cost of erection was £3,500. There are 300 sittings, all free. Five
stained-glass windows of a memorial character have been placed in the church, and in 1896 the
church was re-decorated. A new reredos has been erected in the church to the memory of the Rev. Wm.
Baines. The benefice is a vicarage, value £300, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Christ
Church, Oxford, and is held by the Rev. Robert Halstead.
The SCHOOL at Warton was endowed in 1810, with property from which £90 per year
is received. The school was enlarged in 1908, and is free to the children of the parish.
The CATHOLIC CHURCH dedicated to the Holy Family, was erected in 1901. A school
in connection with the church wasbuilt the same year. Rev. Francis E. Hayward is rector.
Parlsh Council.—J. Clarkson (chairman), E. Braithwaite, T. Fenton, G. Preston,
and T. Singleton. Rural District Councillor : James Gardner.
Post Office at Mrs. Ellen Townsend's. Letters, via Kirkham, arrive 8.45 a.m. and
5.45 p.m., and are despatched 8.45 a.m. and 5-45 p.m.