Fairhaven is a district between Lytham & St.Annes on the seaward-side of
Clifton Drive seen in the coloured area of the plan below. In 1892 Thomas Riley, a Fleetwood
contractor and timber merchant leased this area from the Clifton Family through
the Estate Office at Lytham. The site comprised of 264 acres of huge sand
dunes and, along the coast, two huge banks of pebbles known as "stanners".
The only structures on the site were the old wooden lighthouse which stood on a
high sand dune and nearby, in a dell, cottages for the lighthouse keeper and gamekeeper.