Preston Chronicle, Saturday, August 13, 1831
On. the public road, betwixt Preston and Blackpool, about three
miles from the latter place, lies the hamlet called Little Martin, in which there
is a pool of water, about ten or twelve yards from the public road, and near a
This pool was scoured out many years ago, at which time it was
perfectly motionless. Afterwards, when it replenished itself every fifteen minutes,
or thereabouts the water, generally at the centre of the pool, rose, and continues
to rise, with great turbulence, and to a considerable height, the swell being about
half-a-yard in diameter.
Several smaller ebullitions at the same time appear in different
parts of the pool, throwing up the mud to a considerable height. These continue for
about five minutes and then the pool again becomes quiescent, and
continues so for the next fifteen minutes.
Several experiments have been made to find out the cause of this
ebbing and flowing, but without effect.