viewed from Garden Street c1913. Between the two entrance lodges on
St.George's Road is St.George's Institute and advertising for Cartmell & Sons, Market
Gardeners. Cartmell leased a part of the gardens from the Porritts.
In the late 1870s and early 1880s there was a trade slump,
nationally, and for the young town of St.Annes this meant fewer houses being built and fewer
About 1883, the Public Accommodation (Gardens) Company went
into liquidation and was taken over by the St.Annes Land & Building Company; the gardens
were managed by them for several years.
A Mr. Wilde then leased the Gardens, and he was followed by Mr. John Ferguson, nurseryman, of
Whitegate Drive, Blackpool (brother of Coun. T. Ferguson), who revived many of its beauties and
attempted to popularize it as an attraction of the town. Eventually a portion of it was used as a
nursery, by Mr. Wm. Cartmell.