A photograph looking inland from Blackpool Tower
c1894. To the left is Church Street with the Stanley Arms, Grosvenor Hotel & St.John's
School. A little further along are arches (see below) which formed the entrance to the
Royal Palace Gardens (Raikes Hall Gardens). Houses along Raikes Parade at this time overlooked the
Raikes Hall Gardens Entrance c1899; looking inland with houses to
the left (now shops) on Church Street. The gardens hosted various events until
1900, when the land was sold off as building plots. These plots now
form Lincoln, Longton, Leicester, Liverpool & Leeds Roads. The arched entrance was
removed and Blackpool Secondary School built there c1905 (see
below). Fortunately Raikes Hall has survived as a public House.
Blackpool Secondary School c1906. Renamed
'Blackpool Grammar School' in 1933, it is now the Salvation Army Citadel.