Newspaper cutting dated 10 December 1915.
RECORD OF GOOD WORK.
The annual meeting of subscribers to the Chaseside Convalescent Hospital for Soldiers, St. Annes,
was held last week, in the Parish Rooms. The committee, in the first annual report, congratulated
the subscribers upon the successful establishment and working of the Hospital during the past
At a meeting of parishioners, held in the Parish Rooms, on Sunday, October 18th,
1914, it was unanimously decided that a fund be established for the support of the Belgian
Refugees, and a committee was appointed to arrange and carry on the work. An appeal for
subscriptions was issued, which met with a most generous response, both in money and in kind.
Through the influence and kindness of a member of the committee, the two houses
(Toll Cross and Chaseside) were placed at the disposal of the committee. These were furnished and
made ready for the reception of the refugees, but apart from the difficulties incidental to the
launching of a new scheme, special hindrances arose which prevented the committee accomplishing the
duty entrusted to them.
Arrangements had just been made for the several families to come into residence
when the War Office issued a proclamation making St. Annes a prohibited area, and no aliens were
afterwards allowed to enter the district. In consequence of this proclamation the arrangements made
by the committee had to be cancelled.
A meeting of the subscribers was held on November 9th , to discuss the
situation, when the committee were given authority to extend hospitality to both convalescent
Belgian soldiers and refugees. Altogether eight refugees and 20 soldiers had been in residence.
About April last  the War Office, having decided that no more Belgian
wounded soldiers should be sent to the district, the committee offered the accommodation to the
British Red Cross Society for the use of convalescent British soldiers. The subscribers, at a
meeting held 29th April, 1915, unanimously approved the action of the committee, and also gave
authority to use Toll Cross at any future time for the same purpose.
Chaseside Red Cross Auxilliary Convalescent Hospital,
Headroomgate Road, St Annes, 1915.
The premises, after being inspected by a Government officer, were approved, and
the Hospital was now officially recognised as an Auxiliary Military Hospital for Convalescents.
Fifty-three 'British soldiers have received the benefit of the hospital, 31 have gone back to their
regiments, the other 22 being still in residence. The military authorities on several occasions had
expressed their satisfaction with the good work done for the soldiers, and the men themselves have
gratefully acknowledged the care and attention they have received during their stay in the
The statement of accounts showed receipts amounting to £814. Of these £433 were
from subscriptions, £68 donations, £127 Government grant for Belgian soldiers, and £180 Government
grant for British soldiers. The expenditure amounted to £670, leaving a balance in hand of 2143,
The chief items of expenditure were maintenance of Belgian refugees, £109 ; maintenance of Belgian
soldiers, £104 ; and maintenance of British soldiers, £278.