"Starr Hills", Clifton
Drive, Ansdell, a Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital during the 1914-18 War. The house built
by the artist Richard Ansdell R.A. and it is now nursing
Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 31 January
CARE OF SOLDIERS.
OPENED AT ANSDELL.
Starr Hills, the residence the late Major William Henry Hincksman, J.P., Ansdell, was on Saturday
afternoon opened as a convalescent hospital for soldiers. It has been lent for the purpose by the
trustees of the late owner to the promoters of the scheme, the Lytham and Ansdell
The public has generously subscribed for the fitting
up, and at present there are 57 beds. The opening ceremony was performed by Lady Maden,
Lytham and Bacup, in the presence of a large gathering, presided over Mr. W. W. Ashley, M.P.
for Blackpool Division, who was accompanied by Mrs. Ashley.
The Chairman alluded to the work done by the Lytham
people in connection with the war. In addition to the opening of the hospital and their
subscriptions to the various funds, mentioned that they had provided three Red Cross cars for
the transferring of wounded soldiers from the front to the base in
Mrs. Coulthard, a daughter of the late Major
Hincksman, presented a gilt key to Lady Maden with which to open the hospital. Lady Maden
referred to the nobleness and fearlessness of our valiant soldiers in the war which struck to
our hearts with a pathos which was indescribable.
Mr. Alfred Crooks, J.P.. moved a vote thanks to Lady
Maden and Mr. W. W. Ashley, and this was seconded Mr, J. Chadwick, chairman of the Lytham
Council, and carried.