Lytham & St.Annes played a large role during the 1914-18 War. In 1915-16 the area was used
as a training centre for newly formed battalions and thousands of soldiers were billeted in the two
One of the largest military hospitals in the country opened at Squires
Gate, and there were smaller hospitals at St.Annes, Ansdell and Lytham. There was also much
fundraising for various wartime good causes.
There were two large munitions factories at Squires Gate and the East End
of Lytham. In addition there were smaller factories set up in workshops and garages. Towards the
end of the war a Flying Boat Factory opened at the East End of Lytham.