Lytham St.Annes Civil Defence Corps, 1953.
After the Second World War, in anticipation of a nuclear war, the Civil Defence
Corps was created. Bunkers for some government employees were built throughout the early 1950s, and
a Director General of Civil Defence was appointed in 1954.
In 1957 the Defence White Paper admitted that there were still “no means of
providing adequate protection for the people of this country against the consequences of (nuclear)
attack”, and government support for civil defence declined.
Lytham St.Annes Civil Defence Corps, 1953. Left to right: Mr T.Kerr, C.V.Roberts,
Col. G. Clough, (Head Warden & Instructor), Mrs C.V.Roberts, Coun. A.F. Williamson, Mr H.
Hinchcliffe & Mr B. Mortimer. The photo was taken in Wood Street, St.Annes.