Is a township, the greater portion
of which is in the borough of Blackpool, and
is in the Fylde parliamentary division and Fylde Union. The parish council consists of nine members. The
population in 1861 was 1,691 ; 1871, 1,928 ;
1881, 2,303 ; 1891, 3,334 ; 1901, 3,684 ; and
1921, 2,411. The township contains 3,539 acres, and the rateable value is £24,343.
ST PAUL'S CHURCH was
erected in 1804. It contains about 530
sittings, of which 160 are free. The benefice
is a vicarage, value £650, in the gift of the vicar of
Poulton-le-Fylde and held by the Rev.
Charles Wesley Macready, B.A.
The Baines' Endowed School, built originally in 1833, was rebuilt
during the year 1897 at a cost of £1,600.
There are also two other schools in the
Parish Council.—J. Rawcliffe, J.P.
(chairman), A. Webster, 3. Murphy, J.Melling,
Geo. Bagot, James Dugdale, H. Crabtree, H. Swayles and G. Swarbrick,
W. Dugdale, rating officer.
Letters, via Blackpool.
The list of householders for this township are included
in the 1934 Blackpool Directory.