St.Annes Pier - The Jetty
St.Annes Pier c1904
The jetty was a three-storeyed structure of wood, iron & steel, which extended the
pier out to the North Channel. It was used by yachts, fishing boats, the lifeboat and steamships.
In the 1890s crowds packed the jetty for the Annual Regatta.
The jetty, St.Annes Pier c1926
In the 1890s the Ribble Navigation Company
formed a new channel to the Port of Preston. This resulted in the silting up of the North
Channel and from about 1910 steamships could no longer use the jetty.