Since the 1880s, St.George's Institute had been situated between the two
entrance lodges on St.George's Road.
In 1916 the Ashton Theatre was built on this site; the Institute was again
moved, this time to within the gardens and renamed the "Ashton Institute".
It was formally opened by Coun. Richard Leigh, along with the "New Gardens" on
22 August 1916. It is pictured here with the Empire Cinema in the background.