The Preston Guardian, Saturday, December 18, 1852
Yesterday week, Robert Watson, brewer to Mr. William
Braithwaite, innkeeper, Blackpool, was in the act of ladling the liquor from
the boiler, which contained boiling liquor a yard in depth, on the edge whereof he
was standing, when his foot slipped, and he was precipitated into the vat.
The poor fellow was fearfully scalded, so much so that, despite
every countervailing influence, he died on the following day. On Monday, Mr. R. G.
Watson, deputy coroner for Mr. John Cunliffe, Jun., conducted an inquest into the
occurrence. Verdict—" Accidental death." Deceased has left a wife and eight