BLACKPOOL GAZETTE & HERALD—MARCH 3, 1956.
Ministry to be carried on
66-YEAR-OLD CHURCH CLOSES DOWN
SHAW-ROAD METHODIST CHURCH, which was founded in 1889, has closed down.
Shaw-road church. The final services were held on Sunday, when the preachers
were the minister, the Rev. S. K. Chesworth, in the morning, and the Rev. R. L. Wildridge, a former
minister, in the evening.
The building which had been used as a Sunday school was built shortly after 1891 and the present
church was opened in 1909.
In the early 1920s the land on which it was built began to subside, and in 1928
immediate restoration was necessary. Last year large pieces of plaster fell from the ceiling,
and for several weeks services were held in the schoolroom.
An examination showed that to repairthe building and make the foundations safe would be a
formidable task, and it was decided to close the church.
TO BE CARRIED ON
Now the ministry will be carried on at Rawcliffe-street Methodist Church. A
brief history of the church's beginnings and ministry was compiled by Mr. Chesworth, and each
person attending Sunday's services was presented with a copy.