Lytham St.Annes Coat of Arms
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, England


St.Annes College For Boys

St.Annes College for Boys c1905St.Annes College For Boys was established in Lytham (as The Collegiate School for Boys) in the 1890s. It moved into these new premises at 49, South Promenade, St.Anne's, (near Hornby Road) in 1901. Principal, Rev. William Henry Johnson B.A.

By 1907, the building was in use as The Clifton Private Hotel (demolished c1972 to build flats).

Newspaper article from 1901



      St. Anne's continues to keep pace with the growth of the town in providing facilities for the education of the young, the latest addition being the college for boys opened by the Rev. W. H. Johnson.

      The situation is an ideal one. Facing the sea the college stands only about fifty yards from the water's edge, and as the lads are at study in their large schoolroom, a glance through the window gives them a pretty view of the open sea, the broad mouth of the Ribble, with the incoming and outgoing steamers and busy fleets of fishing smacks. Across the water, on a clear day, Snowdon stands out clearly defined, as well as many miles of coast line, Southport, in the clearest atmospheres, appearing to be but two or three miles across. From the boys' bedrooms on the third and fourth storeys is obtained a picture that cannot fail to be as stimulating as the ozone-laden air coming fresh from the sea.

      The lads are exceedingly fortunate in having such a healthy situation. But undoubtedly one of the best views it is possible to imagine is obtained from a platform erected on the top of the building. To the west of the college the coast line is clearly traced, the turrets and gigantic tower of Blackpool, together with the big wheel standing out prominently, whilst to the east Fairhaven and Lytham, the former with its new church and beautiful lake in the foreground, whilst Lytham's Pier, long stretch of Promenade, and glorious trees make a picture that one never tires of admiring. When the brain gets weary of study nothing is calculated to restore it so well as such an entrancing view.

      Unfortunately there was no vacant land adjacent to the college suitable for a recreation ground, and a field has been secured behind St. Thomas's Church, where the lads indulge in cricket and football, and the physical development of the students has been entrusted to Sergeant-Instructor Howard, instructor to the Lytham Volunteers. At meal times the lads retire to a large comfortable dining-room on the basement, and when all other recreation is precluded by stress of weather, the spare moments of the boys are spent here in chess, draughts, dominoes, etc. It is therefore not surprising to learn that the number of pupils is increasing every term.

      The principal (Rev. W. H. Johnson) took over the school about four years ago, and it was then conducted at Central Beach, Lytham. During the short period Mr. Johnson has had control of the school his efforts have been attended by a remarkable run of successes, and at the Oxford examinations last year out of the thirteen successes from the Fylde district, five were pupils of Mr. Johnson. It is a striking testimony to the personal zeal which the principal takes in his pupils.

Newspaper article from 1901

      The new college stands back about thirty yards from the South Promenade. There are four entrances, the main entrance facing the sea, the basement entrance, and two entrances being at the back of the college. The school is reached by a slope, and stands about five feet above the level of the road, so that there is no obstruction to the sea view. The rooms to the left constitute the schoolrooms (one large and two small) and a class room, the one to the front being a large and spacious room, 33 feet long by 18 feet wide, with a height of 12 feet. It contains two fire places and two large windows, the ventilation being most satisfactory.

      The principal's drawing-room and dining-room are to the right on the main floor, and at the rear a laboratory has been fitted up. The entrance hall is 9ft, wide and 26 yards long, the walls being green tinted, the windows are of coloured glass, the latter being a feature throughout the building. The floor is tiled and carpeted. The students' dining-room 1.s on the basement floor, is about 60 feet long, and connected with three large kitchens, the basement also containing boys' coat and cloak-room, boot room, and pantries, wits masters' study at the front.

      On the ground floor and the two upper storeys are lavatories with bath-rooms on the third and fourth storeys, where the boys’ dormitories are located. There are thirteen of these, all light and airy, and fitted with every convenience, in addition to seven bedrooms for private use. All the rooms are lofty, giving more than ample air space, and throughout the place it is apparent that the body as well as the mind is given every possible advantage. The lads are trained for either a commercial or professional career, or for entrance to the Universities.