St.Annes Ladies College, St.Anne's Rd West;
the Misses Oldfield. Originally founded by the Misses
Frances & Lilly Oldfield about 1882 in Middlewich, Cheshire, it became
established in 1886 when it moved to Newton Hall. In 1888, it made the 50-mile
move to St.Anne's.
At one stage, housed at Claremont, South Promenade, it is listed as being in
St.Annes Road West (pictured left) in 1895. A purpose-built school was erected on
Clifton Drive c1898 (see below) and it was named St.Annes College for Girls. It is
the only one of the private schools which still exists.
The present building on
Clifton Drive South.
In 1924, the principals were Miss Hastings &
Miss Lowe M.A. In the 1930's the school amalgamated with
SAXONHOLME SCHOOL and in 1934 the principals
were Miss E.M. Lowe M.A. & Mrs. E. Thornley B.A. In the late 1930's the school
Linden Hurst College.