Lytham St.Annes Coat of Arms
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, England


St.Annes High School for Girls

The origins of  St.Annes High School for Girls date back to 1863 when Catherine Sharpe founded the "School for the Accomplished" in Lytham. The school moved premises several times. In 1871 it was at 11, Agnew Street and Catherine was in partnership with Anne Robson and assisted by Miss Robson's niece, Elizabeth Hall.

About 1880 the school moved into a large new building in St.Annes Road West,  St.Annes and was known as Belgrave House School.

Belgrave House School

 People resident at Belgrave House School on the night of the 1881 Census and their ages:

Catharina Sharpe 41 (principal)
Elizabeth Hall 35 (co-principal)
Anne Robson 64 (housekeeper)
Maria Schaumberg 23
Elizabeth Mason 20

Sarah J. Byrne 14 (scholar)
Ellen Campbin 14 (scholar)
Eleanor C. Crozier 11 (scholar)
Anne Drummond 11 (scholar)
Mary Drumond 10 (scholar)
Daisy Figg 13 (scholar)
May Figg 15 (scholar)
Annie Gibson 16 (scholar)
Lizzie C. Greaves 14 (scholar)
Gertrude Gregor 14 (scholar)
Phoebe E. Hunter 11 (scholar)
Mary Maxwell 15 (scholar)
Helen Isabel Rawson 13 (scholar)
Emma Sloane 16 (scholar)
Hannah Sloane 17 (scholar)
Margaret. E. Waterhouse 12 (scholar)

Sarah Fawcett 34 (cook)
Mary Aspinall 24 (housemaid)
Annie Lockwood 19 (housemaid)

In 1887 a purpose-built school building was erected by Porritts at 40, North Promenade and it was renamed St.Annes High School for Girls.

The purpose-built school building was erected by Porritts on North Promenade, St.Annes in 1887.

 By 1901, Misses Hall & Fulstow were principals. In 1906, two girls from the school were drowned in the sea opposite.

By 1924, the school was housed in Wynslade, (previously the home of Robert Boddington, the brewer, now demolished) on the corner of North Prom & Beach Rd. That same year the school moved to Windermere, where it still exists.


The original premises (pictured) on North Prom became the Princes Hotel in 1939. Between 1984 and 1998 it housed the Ormerod Home and in 2001 it was demolished to build flats.